Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Floozy







Jeezaloo! I think I win the prize of having the biggest lapse of time from blog to blog, Ti's good to be thusly accomplished!

So it's 1am and yeah I should be sleeping and yeah I have working the morning and yeah I've had not enough sleep for the past several weeks but what are you gonna do about it!?!

So I'm listening to Sigur Rós (Olsen Olsen you know the one with the impossibly beautiful flute) I love Sigur Rós but anyway the reason I'm listening to it right now is because Matti asked me to send him some Sigur Rós (in his mission they have awesome rules regarding music, but that's a different matter) So I'm to send him some Sigur Rós that's spiritual or can invite the spirit, know what I'm saying well the thing is I don't think he knows what he is asking, you see he's only experienced homesickness once so far, on Christmas eve they (the missionaries) were watching home alone and for whatever reason he felt home sick. This next part is hard to explain, Sigur Rós is like Iceland concentrated and put into music form, I brings Iceland to you if you are somewhere else, I remember the first time I heard Hoppipolla in England on tv, I heard the piano in the beginning and thought "ah that is beautiful" then i saw the lopapeysur and was mesmerized, this was Iceland -my Iceland, I hadn't even made the connection of Sigur Rós at that point I sat down and stared, the whole house was quiet just this beautiful sound calling to me, then it was over and the longing was there, Unnur had a different experience and I hope she will permit me to share it :p she was in Byu first semester I think, she'd been having a really hard time and felt overwhelmed and homesick so after a really hard day she decided that she needed the day to feel like home so she skipped school, drew the curtains, turned on some Sigur Rós and scrap booked the whole day. So you see my dilemma. It may cause an deplosion visible from space! hmmm what to do. yay for random tangents

By way of updates since August somethingeth hmmm Oh we had the poly night it was so much fun and everyone said they had a great time which was a relief, I danced with the little girls and made a mistake but oh whale

well in October we had a glorious financial implosion/crisis/collapse/explosion it was catastrophic and will likely take years to right it, moving on we had a bunch of Danish YSA for a visit in October it was so much fun we went to the sveit and stayed in the biggest log cabin in Iceland this thing is huge and beautiful oh glory. Halloween! I love Halloween, scared some kids yup they cried, I'm pretty pleased

Onwards! oo I became a millionaire which is so much fun but also hard in some ways, I saw Matti for the last time for a very long time in November :( I miss him

December oh joys! Christmas I love Christmas! I was assigned to give a talk on the Sunday before Christmas and totally forgot about it!! usually I'm so nervous about giving a talk that it's tattooed on my brain but not this time so i freaked out when i got to church and realised but then it was all good and everyone was like thanks for your talk so yay! I spent Christmas with Ólafur, Björg and their extended family it was a lot of fun and kind of a fairy tail, it was like in the movies, that place is beautiful I got a drill from Björg she was my secret santa I was so pleased! NEW YEARS!! oh wow that was amazing! i love Iceland for it's extremes and insanities.

I probably forgot all sorts of important junk but oh whale

Now I must sleep so that I may wake and say "why the crap don't i sleep earlier?!"

5 comments:

Maliana said...

your post was way too long :p

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahaha. I loved this post. I get strangely homesick for Iceland sometimes. The times I think about New years always throw me for a loop. There is no place so awesome as to spend a new years in iceland. I like your musings.

MoBo said...

Gee I totaly Agree with the First commentor, this mystirious unknown awesome being going by a name of Maliana, This was WAY TOO long gee maliana

MUAHAH FOOLED YA Ah-GEN! YA, this was totaly Awesome and well over due you lazy mofo you. All your pictures were restriced access and government top secret, what the HEY you got yourself INTO!?!??!?! are you SEcretly the real life ALIAS??? I can HANDle it MAliana! I CAN! I got some Awesome Panda Skills! YA!

I had your homesickness ache, once, but it wasnt for Iceland, maybe the lpace I had it for is my home? hahahahahahahahhahahah my super long awesome comment is complete, maybe longer than your post!??!!? muaha

Always Love

MElanieMoMo

Hera said...

Thanks Maliana. Love reading your stuff.

MiriamR said...

Dude I am homesick a lot now for no place in particular just that horrible feeling in your stomach you get when you first move to an unknown place. I think its because I have no home. I love Iceland. The last time I was there was August 2003. I still remember flying in. There were no clouds, no rain no fog. I could see all of iceland and we flew over and it was breathtaking. I will remember that forever. The blues and greens of the ocean the white jokul. I miss it. Miss you and don't try ot break your longest gap ever for posts record please.